News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 

Add RAWA RSS Feed to Feedreaders



 




 


RAWA Photo Gallery
From RAWA Photo Gallery
 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook


PAN, July 7, 2011

13 civilians killed in Khost airstrike: official

To condemn the killings, hundreds of people took to the streets and blocked the Khost-Gardez highway against traffic

By Mali Khan Yaqubi

A NATO airstrike killed at least 13 civilians, mostly women and children, in the Doa Manda district of southeastern Khost province, an official said on Thursday.

The early morning airstrike on Wednesday was carried out in Kamalkhel village of Syedkhel area at around 4am, the district police chief, Lf. Hameedullah, told Pajhwok Afghan News. He said all the dead were civilians and belonged to the same family. The dead included eight children, three women and two men, he said.

To condemn the killings, hundreds of people took to the streets and blocked the Khost-Gardez highway against traffic.

A NATO airstrike killed at least 13 civilians, mostly women and children, in the Doa Manda district of southeastern Khost province
PAN, Jul. 7, 2011: A NATO airstrike killed at least 13 civilians, mostly women and children, in the Doa Manda district of southeastern Khost province, an official said on Thursday.

An elder from Zadran tribe, Anwar, said nearly 2000 people took part in the demonstration. He said all the victims were civilians. A mentally retarded person and a five-day-old baby were among the dead, he said, adding as many as 500 sheep were also killed in the airstrike.

Provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Sardar Mohammad Zazai said a Haqqani terror network leader was among six militants killed in the attack. He said the rest killed in the airstrike were family members of the rebel leader.

The US led-coalition said its forces had inadvertently killed an unspecified number of women and children during a fight with insurgents in eastern Afghanistan this week, adding that it is also investigating a separate allegation of civilian casualties in the same region.

The two incidents, in Khost and Ghazni provinces, could pose a test for President Hamid Karzai, who has called for a halt to NATO airstrikes on Afghan homes and vowed to take “unilateral action” to stop them if they persist. Karzai’s office has not issued statements on either case so far.

The first incident involved US and Afghan troops who were pursuing a leader from the Haqqani network, a Taliban-allied insurgent group, in the Shamul district of Khost province.

According to a NATO statement, the patrol came under fire Wednesday morning from insurgents behind a tree line using rocket-propelled grenades and small arms. The troops called in an airstrike that killed “several” insurgents and “a number of associated family members,” the statement said. “Unknown to the security force, the insurgents were operating among women and children.”

Zazai said that three women and six children were killed, along with four insurgents, including the commander, Qamar Ali.

A spokesman for the governor said an Afghan team has been dispatched to investigate the deaths, which occurred around dawn.

The NATO coalition is also investigating claims by residents that two shepherds were killed by a separate airstrike in Ghazni province.

According to its statement, troops with the International Security Assistance Force watched a man plant a roadside bomb, then called in an airstrike that killed him. “Although operational reporting indicates that only the insurgent targeted was killed, ISAF takes all allegations of civilian casualties seriously,” the statement said.

Category: US-NATO, HR Violations - Views: 8490


Related

07.07.2011: Ghazni residents claim ISAF airstrike killed children
22.06.2011: ISAF kills 2 farmers in Laghman
29.05.2011: Nato airstrike kills 14 women and children in Afghanistan
28.05.2011: 112 killed in Nuristan airstrike: governor
26.05.2011: Foreign troops kill civilians in Maidan Wardak
20.05.2011: Hundreds rally against NATO forces in Logar
18.05.2011: Afghanistan: “Twelve dead” at protest over Nato raid
14.05.2011: Afghans protest boy’s killing by U.S. forces
03.03.2011: Afghans Protest NATO Air-Strike Deaths
02.03.2011: Police chief confirms 9 children killed in ISAF raid
25.09.2010: Laghman civilian deaths spark protest
26.02.2011: Afghanistan civilian casualties spike; officials say 200 killed in 2-week period
26.02.2011: Afghan government probe confirms NATO killed 65 in Kunar
24.02.2011: NATO “mistakenly” kills five civilians, Afghan official says
21.02.2011: NATO killed Afghan army soldier along with his wife and four children
20.02.2011: Afghan Officials: 64 Innocent Afghans Killed in US Military Operation
18.02.2011: Deadly Day Around Afghanistan, as Attacks Kill 17
15.02.2011: 112 Afghans killed in the past week
14.02.2011: Afghanistan Child Victims On The Rise: U.N Report
10.02.2011: Afghan war killed 2 children daily in 2010: report
02.02.2011: 2010: Worst Year for Civilian Deaths of the Afghanistan War
24.01.2011: More evidence of US war crimes
18.01.2011: ISAF strike kills 6 of a family in Kunar
20.01.2011: “Eid Gul was just one of 69 Afghan Civilians Killed by US/NATO Forces during December 2010”
27.08.2010: “Afghan children killed in NATO air strike”
25.08.2010: Afghans protest against Spanish after deadly shooting
30.07.2010: Angry Afghan Mob torches US embassy vehicles after deadly crash in Kabul
04.05.2010: Atrocities Against Civilians in Afghanistan: A Troubling Timetable
23.02.2010: Afghans call for Nato to leave after airstrike kills 27 civilians
07.01.2010: Civilian deaths in Afghanistan spark protests, impatience with continued violence
01.01.2010: School children killed in coalition raid in Afghanistan, UN probe finds

Latest

Most Viewed

Comments