News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 

Add RAWA RSS Feed to Feedreaders



 




 


RAWA Photo Gallery
From RAWA Photo Gallery
 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook


Reuters, May 16, 2011

Afghan governor says NATO troops killed child

If confirmed, this would be the third time in less than a week that NATO troops have killed young Afghan civilians

By Mohammad Anwar

Foreign troops killed an Afghan child and wounded four others when responding to insurgent fire in volatile eastern Kunar province, the provincial Governor said on Monday, the third accidental killing of young civilians in less than a week.

The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said it had killed "four armed individuals" in Kunar's Ghazi Abad district on Sunday, but was looking into allegations of civilian casualties there.

A 12-year old girl and a police officer, a relative of the girl, were killed by foreign troops during a raid on a house in eastern Nangarhar province, Afghanistan
PAN, May 12, 2011: A 12-year old girl and a police officer, a relative of the girl, were killed by foreign troops during a raid on a house in eastern Nangarhar province, residents said on Thursday. "They (foreign troops) hurled a hand grenade at my daughter after she ran out of room in panic. She was killed on the spot," the father said.

Fazlullah Wahidi, governor of Kunar, said a group of girls had been collecting firewood near an insurgent hideout and were struck when ISAF troops that had come under attack returned fire. A 10-year-old girl was killed, and four others wounded.

"The artillery fired by the ISAF convoy hit the girls, who were close to the insurgents," Wahidi told Reuters in a telephone interview from Kunar.

ISAF said in a statement that soldiers had observed four armed men in camouflage moving into an previously used fighting position, before opening fire and killing them. The position was located in a remote area, well away from any villages, it added.

If confirmed, this would be the third time in less than a week that NATO troops have killed young Afghan civilians.

On Saturday, ISAF said its troops mistakenly killed a 15-year-old boy during an operation with Afghan forces to capture a Taliban insurgent in eastern Nangarhar province.

ISAF also apologized for the death of a teenage woman and an Afghan policeman on Wednesday, during a joint raid by Afghan and foreign troops on a compound in Nangarhar.

Insurgents are responsible for well over half of civilian casualties in Afghanistan, figures from the United Nations show, but many non-combatants are still killed by NATO-led forces.

These deaths are a major source of friction between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and his Western backers, and complicate efforts to win support from ordinary Afghans for an increasingly unpopular war.

In March the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan made a rare apology for an air strike that killed nine children, who like the girls hit in Kunar were out collecting firewood. U.S. President Barack Obama also expressed "deep regret" over the deaths.

Despite the presence of around 150,000 foreign troops, violence across Afghanistan last year reached its worst levels since the Taliban were overthrown in late 2001, with record casualties on all sides of the conflict.

The Taliban this month announced the start of their "spring offensive," promising more suicide bombs and other attacks after weeks of deadly violence around the country and a dramatic jail break in southern Kandahar province.

On Monday an insurgent mortar attack in another Kunar district, Wata Pour, killed three civilians and wounded another eight including four women and two children, the interior ministry said in a statement.

(Writing by Hamid Shalizi; Editing by Emma Graham-Harrison and Alex Richardson)

Category: US-NATO, HR Violations - Views: 8526


Related

14.05.2011: Afghans protest boy’s killing by U.S. forces
06.03.2011: Massive protests held against US role in Afghanistan
03.03.2011: Afghans Protest NATO Air-Strike Deaths
02.03.2011: Police chief confirms 9 children killed in ISAF raid
25.09.2010: Laghman civilian deaths spark protest
26.02.2011: Afghanistan civilian casualties spike; officials say 200 killed in 2-week period
26.02.2011: Afghan government probe confirms NATO killed 65 in Kunar
24.02.2011: NATO “mistakenly” kills five civilians, Afghan official says
21.02.2011: NATO killed Afghan army soldier along with his wife and four children
20.02.2011: Afghan Officials: 64 Innocent Afghans Killed in US Military Operation
18.02.2011: Deadly Day Around Afghanistan, as Attacks Kill 17
15.02.2011: 112 Afghans killed in the past week
14.02.2011: Afghanistan Child Victims On The Rise: U.N Report
10.02.2011: Afghan war killed 2 children daily in 2010: report
02.02.2011: 2010: Worst Year for Civilian Deaths of the Afghanistan War
24.01.2011: More evidence of US war crimes
18.01.2011: ISAF strike kills 6 of a family in Kunar
20.01.2011: “Eid Gul was just one of 69 Afghan Civilians Killed by US/NATO Forces during December 2010”
27.08.2010: “Afghan children killed in NATO air strike”
25.08.2010: Afghans protest against Spanish after deadly shooting
30.07.2010: Angry Afghan Mob torches US embassy vehicles after deadly crash in Kabul
04.05.2010: Atrocities Against Civilians in Afghanistan: A Troubling Timetable
23.02.2010: Afghans call for Nato to leave after airstrike kills 27 civilians
07.01.2010: Civilian deaths in Afghanistan spark protests, impatience with continued violence
01.01.2010: School children killed in coalition raid in Afghanistan, UN probe finds

Latest

Most Viewed

Comments