News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 

Add RAWA RSS Feed to Feedreaders



 




 


RAWA Photo Gallery
From RAWA Photo Gallery
 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook


ABC News, May 5, 2011

Australian troops accused of killing civilian in Afghanistan

He says he was not a Talib nor had any links with them - he just used to work and study

By Sally Sara

PETER CAVE: Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission says a man shot during a battle with Australian Special Forces soldiers was a civilian, not an insurgent.

An infant also died from gunshot wounds he received in the firefight.

The relatives of the victims say that Australian troops took innocent lives, but the Defence Force says the case is still being investigated.

Afghanistan correspondent Sally Sara has this exclusive report.

SALLY SARA: It's still not exactly clear what happened near the village of Sah Zafar on March 27.

The Defence Force says insurgents opened fire on a joint patrol of Australian special forces soldiers and Afghan police.

When the shooting stopped a 23-month-old boy Hekmat Ullah was found critically injured with gunshot wounds.

His uncle, 24-year-old local mullah, Lal Awar Khan had been shot dead next to him.

Abdul Bari Yusufi from Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission says based on their information collected from villagers, Mr Khan was a civilian.

Australian troops say Lal Awar Khan was a suspected insurgent and the skin on his forearms tested positive to traces of explosives.

But his uncle, Abdul Ghafoor says Mr Khan and his brother who was also at the scene were innocent.

He says he was not a Talib nor had any links with them - he just used to work and study.

The incident happened in long grass along a creek line near Sah Zafar.

Australian troops provided first aid and medevaced the wounded infant Hekmat Ullah but he died in a military hospital six days later.

Abdul Bari Yusufi from the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission says the commission is calling on foreigners and has called on oppositions as well to pay enough attention on civilian casualties during fighting.

The family of Lal Awar Khan has not requested compensation from the Australian Government but is delivering a message.

Mr Khan's uncle, Abdul Ghafoor says he wants the Australian troops to rebuild the country, listen to the voice of the poor, the widows and the needy people.

He says innocent people shouldn't die anymore and justice should be done.

The issue of civilian casualties is politically sensitive in Afghanistan.

Coalition forces are under pressure to provide security and often patrol in areas where it's difficult to tell who's who.

The Australian Defence Force says it may take several months before the release of its official report into the incident.

This is Sally Sara in Kabul for AM.

Category: US-NATO, HR Violations - Views: 3878


Related

23.04.2011: UNAMA: 8,832 Afghan civilians killed in four years
23.04.2011: Civilians among 13 dead in Kapisa fighting
22.04.2011: ISAF airstrike kills road workers in Khost
21.04.2011: Afghan women killed by foreign forces in operation
06.04.2011: Afghans complain about NATO-led raid that killed 6
06.04.2011: ISAF vehicle kills woman in Kabul
28.03.2011: War crime images the Pentagon doesn’t want you to see
28.03.2011: Foreign soldiers take 9 family members to base in Logar
16.03.2011: Night raids by US Special Forces anger Afghans
13.03.2011: ISAF vehicle crushes child to death
24.02.2011: Afghan night raid survivors, in their own words
24.02.2011: NATO “mistakenly” kills five civilians, Afghan official says
21.02.2011: NATO killed Afghan army soldier along with his wife and four children
20.02.2011: Afghan Officials: 64 Innocent Afghans Killed in US Military Operation
18.02.2011: Deadly Day Around Afghanistan, as Attacks Kill 17
15.02.2011: 112 Afghans killed in the past week
14.02.2011: Afghanistan Child Victims On The Rise: U.N Report
10.02.2011: Afghan war killed 2 children daily in 2010: report
02.02.2011: 2010: Worst Year for Civilian Deaths of the Afghanistan War
24.01.2011: More evidence of US war crimes
18.01.2011: ISAF strike kills 6 of a family in Kunar
20.01.2011: “Eid Gul was just one of 69 Afghan Civilians Killed by US/NATO Forces during December 2010”
16.01.2011: 17 Afghan civilians killed by roadside bombs in 24 hours
27.08.2010: “Afghan children killed in NATO air strike”
04.05.2010: Atrocities Against Civilians in Afghanistan: A Troubling Timetable
23.02.2010: Afghans call for Nato to leave after airstrike kills 27 civilians
07.01.2010: Civilian deaths in Afghanistan spark protests, impatience with continued violence
01.01.2010: School children killed in coalition raid in Afghanistan, UN probe finds

Latest

Most Viewed

Comments