News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News
News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 





 


 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook



Reuters, March 14, 2011

37 killed, 40 injured in Kunduz suicide attack

Taliban claims responsibility for the third attack in a month in the formerly peaceful Kunduz province

A suicide attack on an army recruitment centre in northern Afghanistan has killed 37 people. It was the third major assault in the area in less than a month, the deputy governor said.

A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed responsibility for the attack on behalf of the militant Islamist group. Dozens more were wounded, officials said.

Those killed in the attack included four children and recruits for the Afghan national army
A suicide attack on an army recruitment centre in northern Afghanistan killed 37 people. It was the third major assault in the area in less than a month, the deputy governor said. Those killed in the attack included four children and recruits for the Afghan national army. (Photo: Reuters)

A Reuters witness heard gunfire in the area after the attack but Hamdullah Danishi, the deputy governor of Kunduz province, said the casualties were all caused by a single suicide bomber.

"The death toll includes new recruits, army soldiers and civilians," Danishi told Reuters. A doctor in the Kunduz provincial hospital said 33 bodies had been brought in.

Violence is spreading fast in the once relatively peaceful north, with Kunduz a particular focus for insurgents.

The Kunduz police chief was killed by a suicide bomber while out on patrol in the city last week. In late February, another suicide bomber killed at least 30 people in a government office while people were queueing to collect identity cards in the Emam Saheb district of Kunduz.

The previous governor of Kunduz was killed in an attack on a mosque where he was worshipping last October.

The province has become established as an insurgent base over the past two years, with attacks radiating out into surrounding provinces, while Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) offensives have been concentrated in Taliban strongholds in the south and east.

Isaf said it was investigating reports of the latest attack in Kunduz.

In 2010, violence across Afghanistan hit its worst levels since the Taliban were ousted by US-backed Afghan forces in late 2001, despite the presence of about 150,000 foreign troops. It has been rising this year even before an expected spring offensive against insurgents.

Category: Taliban/ISIS/Terrorism, HR Violations - Views: 11078



Latest

Most Viewed