News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News
News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 





 


 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook



AFP, May 14, 2010

Afghans protest against NATO, say 12 civilians killed

Protesters chanted "Death to Shairzai (the provincial governor), Karzai and the Americans" as they threw stones at the district administration offices

Civilians killed by NATO in Nengrahar
Local residents and relatives gather around the bodies of people killed in an overnight raid by NATO forces, at Surkh Rod, Afghanistan, Friday, May 14, 2010. More than 500 people poured into the streets in the Surkh Rod district of Nangahar province to protest the raid by international forces that they claim killed at least nine civilians. (Photo: AP)

JALALABAD — Hundreds of angry protesters staged a protest Friday in eastern Afghanistan, accusing NATO forces of killing a dozen civilians during an overnight raid.

Around 300 protesters in the Surkh Rod district of Nangahar province chanted "Death to Shairzai (the provincial governor), (Afghan President Hamid) Karzai and the Americans" as they threw stones at the district administration offices, where the raid took place, an AFP reporter said.

Afghan and NATO forces had arrived at a village by helicopter on Thursday night and carried out an attack against Taliban militants, based on a tip-off, said provincial spokesman Ahmad Zia Abdulzai.

"An operation was carried out by the joint forces but at this stage we don't know how many people were killed and if they are all Taliban or there were any civilians among them," Abdulzai said.The provincial governor had sent a delegation to the area to investigate the claims of civilian casualties, he said.

Anti-US protest in Nengrahar
Villagers burn a U.S. flag during a protest against NATO raids, which they said killed 11 civilians overnight, at Surkhrod district, in Nangarhar province May 14, 2010. A civilian was shot dead in eastern Afghanistan on Friday after police fired at thousands at the protesting villagers, a local official said. (Photo: Reuters)

NATO had no immediate comment.

Local authorities prevented the protesters from marching to the provincial capital, Jalalabad, fearing eruptions of violence.

An official who did not want to be named said 11 people had been killed during the raid by NATO forces, including civilians.

He added that two people had been injured and another two were detained by the NATO forces.The protesters claimed 12 people, all of them civilians and including farmers, were killed during the raid.

Civilian casualties are a sensitive issue in Afghanistan, with Karzai repeating his concerns during a visit this week to Washington.The commander of the 130,000 US and NATO troops in Afghanistan, General Stanley McChrystal, recently ordered that night raids be scaled down as one measure to reduce civilian deaths and injuries.

Angy protesters raise anti-US protest
Villagers shout anti-U.S. slogans during a protest against NATO raids, which they said killed 11 civilians overnight, in Surkhrod district, in Nangarhar province May 14, 2010. A civilian was shot dead in eastern Afghanistan on Friday after police fired at thousands at the protesting villagers, a local official said. (Photo: Reuters)


Category: US-NATO, HR Violations, Protest - Views: 13939



Latest

Most Viewed