News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 

Add RAWA RSS Feed to Feedreaders



 




 


RAWA Photo Gallery
From RAWA Photo Gallery
 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook


Reuters, April 12, 2010

NATO troops kill 4 Afghans on bus - provincial official

A foreign military convoy fired on a passenger bus and killed four civilians and wounded 18 more

KANDAHAR - Foreign forces opened fire on a bus in southern Afghanistan on Monday, killing four civilians and wounding 18 others, a provincial official said.

The issue of civilian casualties caused by international forces is an emotive one in Afghanistan and undermines support for their presence in the country. It has also created a rift between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the West.

"A foreign military convoy fired on a passenger bus and killed four civilians and wounded 18 more," said Zalmai Ayoubi, spokesman for the governor of Kandahar province.

The incident took place in Zhari district, to the west of Kandahar city, said Ayoubi. The bus had been travelling along the country's main ring road from Kandahar to Herat city in the west.

A spokesman for NATO-led forces said he was aware of an incident involving civilian casualties in Kandahar on Monday and that a joint Afghan-NATO assessment team had been sent to the area. He did not have any more details on the incident.

The latest incident comes less than a week after NATO said it had launched an investigation into whether its forces had killed four civilians -- two women, a child and an elderly man -- in an air strike in southern Helmand province.

Earlier this month, NATO acknowledged it had killed five Afghan civilians, including three women, during a botched night raid on a home in the southeast of the country in February.

The United Nations says new guidelines issued by the commander of NATO and U.S. forces last year have helped reduce the number of civilian casualties, but such incidents still cause deep anger among Afghans the foreign troops are meant to protect. While the United Nations says foreign and Afghan troops killed 25 percent fewer civilians last year than in 2008, civilian deaths rose overall, because the number killed by insurgents rose 40 percent.

More than 2,400 civilians were killed in 2009, making it the deadliest year of a war now more than eight years old. There are some 130,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan, set to rise to 150,000 by the year's end.

(Reporting by Ismail Sameem and Jonathon Burch in KABUL; Editing by David Fox)

Category: US-NATO, HR Violations - Views: 5785


Related

27.03.2010: NATO Tries to Silence a Truth-Teller in Afghanistan After Killing Pregnant Women
15.03.2010: Survivors of family killed in Afghanistan raid threaten suicide attacks
14.03.2010: Nato ‘covered up’ botched night raid in Afghanistan that killed five
12.02.2010: Bodies found gagged, bound after Afghan ‘honor killing’
10.03.2010: One Month of the Obama Killing Machine in Afghanistan: Data and a Lesson for the UNAMA and its Groupies
23.02.2010: Afghans call for Nato to leave after airstrike kills 27 civilians
24.02.2010: UN: 346 Afghan children killed in 2009, more than half by NATO
22.02.2010: NATO Afghanistan airstrike kills 27 civilians
20.02.2010: NATO air strike kills seven Afghan policemen in Kunduz
16.02.2010: Team America Kills Five Kids in Marja
17.02.2010: Bodies of 12 civilians killed by NATO handed over to families
16.02.2010: NATO troops kill more civilians
16.02.2010: Team America Kills Five Kids in Marja
13.02.2010: Villagers accuse US Special Forces for killing five civilians
06.02.2010: Afghan police kill seven boys collecting firewood
22.01.2010: Obama quietly continues to defend Bush’s terror policies
15.01.2010: At least 20 killed in Afghan suicide bomb attack
13.01.2010: 2009 deadliest year for Afghan civilians
07.01.2010: Civilian deaths in Afghanistan spark protests, impatience with continued violence
29.12.2009: “Four Afghan civilians killed in Baghlan air raid”
24.12.2009: Afghan Civilians allegedly killed in custody
18.12.2009: NATO air strike kills three Afghan civilians
12.12.2009: Two civilians allegedly killed by NATO forces

Latest

Most Viewed

Comments