VOA Dari (Translated by RAWA), July 27, 2016

81% Afghans don’t have job security

In the 2016 report of the World Bank, Afghanistan is ranked 173rd, and the worst country in Asia for trade and investment

By Samsama Seerat

According to official statistics of the Afghan government, out of 7.2 million Afghans who have jobs, only 19 percent have job security, leaving 81 percent of them without job security. The statistics show that more than 26 percent of the youth qualified for work are unemployed and 400,000-500,000 qualified Afghans enter the job market every year.

Increasing unemployment post-NUG

Many Afghans have stated that they had lost their jobs after the creation of the National Unity Government (NUG). Wodood is an Afghan man who worked in a foreign organization before the formation of the NUG, but is now unemployed, despite looking for a job. He said, “In the past, we had a salary of 1000 to 1500 USD per month, but after this government took over, we are unemployed. I have a cab and drive that around to earn.”

Faizullah, another Afghan demanded the government create jobs for young people, “We are unemployed. We have nothing to do. Unemployment has especially increased now. We hope jobs are created, otherwise this emigration, war and insecurity will continue.”

13-year-old Sami Rahimi works and lives in a bread bakery in Kabul
Sami Rahimi, 13, works and lives in a bread bakery in Kabul. He gets up at 5 a.m. to start work. He supports his entire family, who live in the northern province of Tahar. (Photo: Carolyn Cole/Los Angeles Times)

The government’s efforts to create jobs for young people

Mohammad Ismail Rahimi, deputy Minister of Economic said that unemployment is a serious issue and the government is making efforts to fight it.

The Ministry of Work and Social Affairs also stated that the government is making efforts to create jobs for qualified youngsters.

Decline in employment in private companies

A research by the Chamber of Commerce and Industries shows that the rate of unemployment is on the rise in the country. The research shows that the number of workers in private companies has declined by 36 percent in the past three months. The research took place in five big provinces, Kabul, Balkh, Nangarhar, Kandahar, and Herat. According to this research, Kabul and Balkh provinces are in the worst state.

In the 2016 report of the World Bank, Afghanistan is ranked 173rd, and the worst country in Asia for trade and investment.

Presidential candidates promised better economic situation

The leaders of the current government promised positive changes to the economic situation of the people of Afghanistan during the presidential election campaigns.

Now government officials agree that the economic situation of Afghanistan has not improved but are hopeful that Afghanistan’s membership in the World Trade Organization, the TAPI agreement and the construction of the Salma Dam, all achievements of the government, will improve the economic situation of the people.

According to UNDP statistics, 36 percent of the Afghan population – 9 million people – live under the line of poverty. The unemployment rate also stands at 40 percent which increases poverty.

More than 60 percent of Afghans are aged between 18 and 25 and most of them suffer from poverty and unemployment. In the past year hundreds and thousands of youngsters were forced to leave the country due to increasing insecurity and unemployment.

Political and economic analysts believe that the current situation, if unchanged, and the deteriorating security situation will drive the youth out of Afghanistan.

Characters Count: 4317

URL for news «81% Afghans don’t have job security»