PAN, October 27, 2014
Kabulis scared by increasing rocket strikes
This last week saw six magnetic bombs exploding and as many rockets landing in the heavily-fortified central capital
By Khwaja Basir Fitri
Increasing rocket and magnetic bomb attacks have worried Kabul residents, who believe lack of deterrence and coordination among security forces allows such assaults.
This last week saw six magnetic bombs exploding and as many rockets landing in the heavily-fortified central capital, leaving four people dead and 16 others wounded.
Nasir Ahmad, a resident, told Pajhwok Afghan News people were scared by the increasing number of rocket attacks. The 32-year-old criticised security forces for failing to take sufficient steps to prevent such incidents.
He said strict security arrangements should be put in place at all the entrances to the city.
Afghan National Army soldiers (ANA) arrive at the site of a suicide bomb attack in Kabul October 1, 2014. (Photo: Omar Sobhani/Reuters)
Another resident Nasir said militants could easily transfer explosives to the capital city due to negligence on the part of security forces.
Roohul Amin Shakir, a youth representative and resident of Kabul, said dwellers no longer felt themselves secure in the face of increasing lawlessness.
He said there were different internal and external factors contributing to the deterioration of security in Kabul.
He believed rivalries on political, ethnic and linguistic lines were the main reason behind magnetic bomb attacks. Shakir said external players had their own interest in a destabilised Kabul.
Gen. Abdul Wahid Taqat, a military analyst, said lack of equipment with security forces and their weak administration could be blamed for the increasing rocket and magnetic bomb attacks.
He saw insufficient civil-military coordination was another issue adding to insecurity in Kabul.
But Kabul police spokesman Hashmatullah Stanikzai dismissed the notion police were incapable of warding off such attacks or the force was weakened by corruption.
He said police had responded to these attacks by arresting at least 50 suspects accused of fueling insecurity in Kabul. He said new security check-posts would be established in areas affected by rocket attacks.
Meanwhile, Ministry of Interior (MoI) spokesman Siddique Siddiqui said rebels had no courage to stage direct attacks on their targets and had started firing rockets.
He said security organs had enhanced gathering and sharing intelligence, which would help improve the security situation in Kabul.
Characters Count: 3060