PAN, May 31, 2013
Civilians bear brunt of Faryab clashes
“There has been great panic among residents. The fighting that started three days ago continued until midnight.”
By Qutbuddin Kohi
Three civilian homes were destroyed and as many torched during a clash between armed insurgents and security forces in the Garziwan district of northwestern Faryab province, residents claimed on Thursday.
They said the clash had been ongoing over the last three days, asking both sides to leave their villages and avoid creating problems for them.
An Afghan Army soldier fires a rocket propelled grenade at suspected Taliban at combat outpost Nolen, north of Kandahar. (Photo: Bob Strong/Reuters)
Ghulam Sakhi, a provincial council member and resident of Garziwan, told Pajhwok Afghan News three residential buildings had been destroyed and as many burnt.
There were no casualties among security forces, but two Taliban and as many civilians were wounded, he added.
Governor’s spokesman Ghulam Sakhi Naveed said the Taliban had captured a police checkpoint in Kikaws area of the district. Police reinforcements were sent to the areas on Thursday.
He said the fleeing insurgents had been surrounded in the Dahan Dara area.
Mohammad Hashim, an area elder, said seven buildings had been damaged in a rocket attack. “There has been great panic among residents. The fighting that started three days ago continued until midnight.”
The elder requested insurgents and security forces to avoid attacking each other in residential areas.
Mohammad Safa, another resident, accused the Taliban of annoying people on the charge of supporting government during the three-day fight in Kikaws area.
A Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi claimed the fighters had captured two police checkpoints and killed two Afghan Local Police (ALP) members and wounded many others.
About a month ago, some civilians were killed and wounded during fierce clashes between Afghan forces and insurgents in Khwajah Kinti area of Qaisar district, leading to a mass exodus.
Characters Count: 2516