PAN, July 11, 2012
Militants blow up Nangarhar school
By Abdul Mueed Hashimi
Unidentified gunmen blew up a boys’ school in the Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Wednesday.
The district chief, Haji Abdul Khaliq Maroof, told Pajhwok Afghan News that nearly 45 armed men destroyed the school on Tuesday night.
He said the militants opened fired on police who arrived to investigate.
No one has been detained so far in connection with the attack, according to the district's administrative head, who said an investigation into the incident had been launched.
The fighters placed mines in the school hall and destroyed six classrooms besides damaging several other rooms, said education department spokesman, Mohammad Asif Shinwarai.
The schoold, constructed five years ago, had 1,150 students, but still it had no boundary wall, he added.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said they were not involved in destroying the school.
Characters Count: 1359