News from the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA)
RAWA News


 

 

 

Add RAWA RSS Feed to Feedreaders



 




 


RAWA Photo Gallery
From RAWA Photo Gallery
 


Help RAWA: Order from our wish list on Amazon.com

RAWA Channel on Youtube

Follow RAWA on Twitter

Join RAWA on Facebook


Crienglish.com, May 9, 2012

14 civilians killed in two NATO airstrikes, Afghan officials say

An Afghan woman mourns over the body of her son, Abdul Satar, who was allegedly killed in an Afghan-led operation in Laghman, east of Kabul
May 1, 2012: An Afghan woman mourns over the body of her son, Abdul Satar, who was allegedly killed in an Afghan-led operation in Laghman, east of Kabul. (Photo: AP)

Fourteen civilians were killed and six others injured as warplanes of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) raided the suspected Taliban hideouts in Badghis province 555 km northwest of capital Kabul on Monday, local officials said Tuesday.

"The aircraft of NATO-led forces raided the suspected hideouts of Taliban militants in Balamirghab district in the wee hours of Monday but it mistakenly struck residential houses as a result 14 civilians including women and children were martyred and six others sustained injuries," spokesman for provincial administration Sharif Majidi told Xinhua.

He also noted that the affected area has been regarded as Taliban hotbed as the militants often ambush security forces convoys and organize roadside bombings.

Police spokesman in the region Abdul Rauf Ahmadi also confirmed the incident, saying 14 civilians had been killed.

Meantime, President Hamid Karzai in a statement released by his office Monday night asked the concerned authorities to initiate investigation into the reported killing of civilians by the NATO- led forces during operations in Badghis, Logar, Kapisa and Helmand provinces over the past few days.

Originally published on May 8, 2012

Category: US-NATO, HR Violations - Views: 2905


Latest

Most Viewed

Comments