PAN, March 17, 2011
Sawakai residents announce 3-day mourning for victims of a coalition airstrike
Jehan said residents asked for trial of those responsible for the killing
By Khan Wali Salarzai
Residents of the Sawakai district in eastern Kunar province on Thursday declared a three-day mourning period for victims of a coalition airstrike.
PAN, Mar. 13, 2011: A vehicle of foreign troops traveling in a convoy crushed to death a child in southern Kandahar province, an official said on Sunday. Abdullah, the victim's uncle, said Abu Bakar was five years old. Residents tried to stop the convoy, but the troops opened fire into the air and left the area. (Photo: PAN)
They also announced suspension of work in public and private sectors for the same period in protest against the air raid that killed two teenage boys watering their farmland two days ago, Shah Jehan, a resident said.
The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force on Wednesday said an investigation had been opened into the air strike.
Jehan said residents asked for trial of those responsible for the killing.
The district chief, Abdul Marjan, confirmed the announcement by residents. He said traffic would stay off the road and schools and other public departments and shops in the district bazaar closed during the period.
The fresh incident of civilian deaths came five days after President Hamid Karzai traveled to Ghaziabad and Matogai district to condole with family members of those killed and wounded in two previous such attacks. Women and children were among 64 people killed in the airstrikes weeks ago.
Characters Count: 1917