PAN, July 14, 2008
30 civilians killed in Nuristan: officials
Enayatullah Khalil an official of the Nuristan police headquarters confirmed the civilian casualties in the air raid
Umer Sami Nuristani & Abdul Moeed Hashimi
PAARON: Officials in Nuristan province on Monday said almost 30 defenseless civilians have been reportedly killed during NATO-led International Security Assistance Forces (ISAF) airstrike in Want-Waigal district of the eastern province.
Rizwanullah Adil spokesman for the governor told Pajhwok Afghan News the casualties occurred when NATO troops bombed two villages of Katgal of the district last night and Nishgram region of the district today morning.
Resident reported the number of casualties to the local officials, he added.
Enayatullah Khalil an official of the Nuristan police headquarters confirmed the civilian casualties in the air raid, he said: "I contacted via satellite with the district (Want-Waigal) officials today and they reported huge local casualties."
However NATO press office in eastern Nangarhar province rejected the claims about locals casualties in the foreign forces raid, the source assured of investigations on the locals' claims about the casualties.
The fighting in Want-Waigal erupted on Sunday afternoon following militants attack on the NATO base.
NATO on Monday reported that nine of their soldiers were killed and 15 more sustained injuries in the attack on its base.
Locals claim more than nine US soldiers died in the attack in Waigal, also the Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told this news agency that their fighters shot dead 20 US soldiers and arrested several others in this assault.
Nuristan deputy governor Abdul Halim told Pajhwok Afghan News that six Taliban were also killed in the attack and their bodies were lying on the battle ground.
He worried the district might have been captured by Taliban; he argued the contact with the district had been cut since Sunday.
Characters Count: 2086